Finance, Sportshall and Development: Report by Michael Coker to Hampshire AA Executive - 11 November 2011
6. Finance & Sustainability
- The Sub-Group had met 3 times in the last 12 months. The starting point was to address Hampshire AA financial position with losses of over £11K suffered during 2009/ 2010 and assets declining from c.£36K to £25K. NB at this rate of attrition Hampshire AA would cease to exist by November 2013. The Hampshire Athletics Business Plan had been constructed, with all branches of the sport tasked with breaking even in 2011 and returning to profitability in 2012 and thereafter. A whole set of initiatives have been implemented.
- We recently had a very positive meeting with the UK Marketing Director of a leading sports clothing retail provider keen to work in future partnership. Assuming HAA successfully stabilises its financial position, the prospects for future cooperation look promising. Specific areas of interest/ potential sponsorship include:- Cross Country Championships, Hampshire 10K, Track and Field Championships, and a midweek 2012 Grand Prix event possibly coinciding with the Hampshire legs of the Olympic torch.
- We met with Richard Neale (Mountbatten Centre Manager) in September 2011, and negotiated preferential rates for Sports Hall and Track Bookings.
- 2013-2017 Planning. Colin Goater and Michael Coker attended an England Athletics meeting, with an encouraging emphasis on 'Counties' for future athletics delivery.
12. Sports Hall
- Hampshire League Match 1 was held at Fleming Park on October 16th 2011, with a very encouraging attendance (9 Clubs and 1 School) - new entrants to the League were Overton and New Forest Juniors. Approx. 200 children participated - a record attendance. Match 2 is also at Fleming Park on 20th November, with Match 3 at the Mountbatten Centre on Saturday 28th January 2012. Good rates for facility hire had been negotiated for all 3 matches.
- The Hampshire Wheel Chair Race Group was launched at Winchester Stadium in August with 3 new racing chairs purchased with grant aid.
- 57 Hampshire athletes ranked in the 'Power of 10' top 15 had applied to the Hampshire Talented Athlete Scheme from 305 County representatives across all sports. Successful applicants will receive a range of support including financial grants, free facility access, fast- tarck physiotherapy and transport passes.
- 70 athletes attended the first 2011/12 Winter Coaching Day at the Mountbatten Centre on 15 October. 20 of these athletes had emerged from the various Schools Championships, and were linked to Clubs. The 2nd day is scheduled for Andover on 10th December and will have a strength and conditioning emphasis.
- A proposal has been submitted to Sport England to encourage 1000 new adults into 'running' by April 1st 2013.
Athletics Network Coaching & Performance Officer
Sport Hampshire & IOW